PAIRING RUM & CHOCOLATE
Of course chocolate is a must on Valentine’s Day, but what about rum? Or even better, rum and chocolate! But since not all chocolate is the same and neither is rum, we’ve put together a few basic starting points to help the rum enthusiasts with their rum and chocolate pairing.
Milk chocolate and white chocolate pair best with rums that have a fruity body, that are balanced and lighter in character; like our Dark Spiced Rum and Coco Rum.
60-72% Cocoa chocolates provide for incredible pairings, if not some of the best! This level of cocoa pairs best with rums that exude darker flavour notes like our Extra Dark Rum and St. André Rum.
Milk chocolate can coat the palate with a cloying-like effect, so if you prefer milk chocolate, be sure to keep the pairing portion small. The proof of the rum will not only pair well with a smaller portion, but it will also help cleanse the palate.
Why not take it a step further and really impress your Valentine’s date with Chocolate Takamaka Rum-soaked Cherries or a decadent Chocolate Takamaka Rum Mousse? Follow these simple recipes and you’re guaranteed a RUMantic evening!
CHOCOLATE TAKAMAKA RUM-SOAKED CHERRIES
1 jar maraschino cherries (with stems), drained
120ml Takamaka Dark Spice Rum or Coco Rum
115g milk chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon shortening
- Place the cherries in a bowl and cover with rum. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Drain and pat dry
- In a microwave melt the chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Holding the stems, drip the cherries in the chocolate mixture. Allow the excess to drip off and place on a waxed paper.
- Let it stand until set
CHOCOLATE TAKAMAKA RUM MOUSSE
60ml Takamaka Extra Dark Rum
115g semisweet chocolate
30ml heavy cream
plus extra 475ml heavy cream
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Combine the sugar and rum in a small saucepan and warm over a very low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan set over hot water
- Stir in the rum mixture and 30ml of heavy cream until smooth
- Beat the remaining cream until light and fluffy, and gently fold into the chocolate mixture
- Fold in the beaten egg whites and spoon into individual serving bowls or wine glasses.
- Chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge before serving
- Put the Chocolate Takamaka Rum-soaked cherry on top!